GLOBAL TERROR

ISIS Claims Responsibility for NYC Attack

The so-called Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the truck attack in New York City that left eight people dead on Tuesday. In its weekly issue of Al-Naba newspaper, the group described Sayfullo Saipov, the man accused of mowing down pedestrians along a Manhattan bike path, as “one of the caliphate soldiers.” U.S. authorities had earlier said Saipov appeared to have been inspired by ISIS but it wasn’t clear if he was in direct communication with the terrorist group. Saipov, a permanent U.S. resident originally from Uzbekistan, asked to display an ISIS flag in his hospital room earlier this week and reportedly told police he was motivated by watching ISIS videos.