Caught on Tape

Jacko's Firework Disaster

According to Us Weekly and other media reports, Michael Jackson's prescription-drug addiction was kicked off by a life-altering incident that occurred while filming a Pepsi commercial in 1984. During a take at L.A.'s Shrine Auditorium, fireworks exploded before they were supposed to, igniting Jackson's head in flames. Unaware of the fire at first, Jackson continued to dance, ultimately suffering second- and third-degree burns on his scalp and body. "He was never the same after the incident," Us Weekly reports. To relieve the burns and the pain of multiple surgeries following the accident, Jackson was prescribed several medications. Rare footage of the incident has also been released.