the news from israel
Lost in Translation
"I come in peace."--New Egyptian Ambassador to Israel Atef Salem said to Shimon Peres upon offering his credentials.
- Israeli media misinterprets Abbas' Arabic remarks on Facebook - His use of the preposition "before" alarmed Maariv newspaper and Israel Radio, which reported that Abbas was seeking a state in all of historic Palestine. (Maan)
- In first televised interview, Gilad Shalit says 'it will be hard for me to send my children to the army' - WATCH: One year after release from Hamas captivity, IDF soldier tells Channel 10 how he managed to survive more than five years in Gaza, and what it felt like to come home. (Haaretz+)
- Leader of Jewish women's group arrested for 'singing' at Western Wall - Members of Women of the Wall say Anat Hoffman nabbed, detained during event marking 100 years of the Hadassah organization at the holy site. (Haaretz+)
- Ultra-Orthodox paper blasted over Peres interview - Ultra-Orthodox weekly Bakehila criticized by rival newspaper Yated Ne'eman for 'giving voice to heresy' in interview with president. (Ynet)
- IDF planning first ultra-Orthodox commando unit - The elite company would be attached to an armored brigade and composed of outstanding members of the already existing Nahal Haredi battalion. (Haaretz+)
- U.S. billionaire Ronald Lauder behind initiative to register voters in Israel - The parent organization of iVoteIsrael, which calls for Israeli-Americans to participate in the U.S. presidential election, lists same suite number, office address of Lauder's foundation, 2010 tax filings reveal. (Haaretz+)
For the full News from Israel.