UNEXPECTED

North Korea Says Would Be Open to Talks With Trump Administration

North Korea has said it would be willing to sit down and talk with the U.S. “if the conditions were right,” South Korean media reported Saturday. Choe Son-hui, a North Korean official who has previously been involved in nuclear talks, made the comments after meeting with former U.S. officials in Oslo. Choe provided no further details on what the conditions would be, but Pyongyang’s nuclear ambitions would likely be a primary focus of any talks. Tensions have escalated in recent weeks as U.S. officials threatened to take action against North Korea’s ongoing missile tests. U.S. President Donald Trump warned of the possibility of a “major war” after Pyongyang’s missile testing last month, and the White House repeatedly hinted at military action. But Trump changed his tune earlier this month, saying he’d be “honored” to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.