10. The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee MessageCan it jubil-be? Queen Elizabeth gave a pre-recorded thank-you speech in the wake of her Diamond Jubilee festivities, calling the celebrations a ‘humbling experience.’ We’re guessing her favorite was Elton John’s performance.
9. Ray Bradbury on His Love of Books and Life
The revered author of ‘Fahrenheit 451’ died Wednesday at age 91. Watch Bradbury discuss his life and his love for books and, as he says, a cheaper and better education is as close to you as your local library.
8. ‘Trololo’ Uh Oh: Viral Video Singer Dies
Say it isn’t so with an honorary ‘trololo.’ Eduard Khil, the Russian singer known for the viral video, died at age 77 after suffering a stroke. The video of Khil became a viral sensation after it was unearthed from 1970s’ TV footage.
7. Why Backing Legalized Pot Helps Obama in 2012
James Higdon, author of the acclaimed ‘Cornbread Mafia,’ the story of the largest marijuana bust in American history, talks legalization and politics with Newsweek’s Tony Dokoupil. Higdon’s claim: backing Colorado’s upcoming marijuana ballot initiative might give the president enough youth votes to take the state.
6. The Daily Show’s Fairness Doctrine
All’s fair in love and politics? Well, not exactly. Jon Stewart took to the airwaves Thursday to blast cable news’s obsession with determining what is ‘fair game’ in politics.
5. Worst Archery Teacher Ever
If you’re wondering how Jennifer Lawrence got so handy with a bow and arrow in 'The Hunger Games,’ well… you’re going to have to keep wondering because it definitely wasn’t thanks to the tutelage of Lester Boonshaft, played to perfection by Joel McHale in this hilarious sketch from Sunday’s MTV Movie Awards.
4. Obama and Romney Go Country
What’s more difficult than running for president? Try choosing the host of the Country Music Awards. President Obama and his Republican challenger Mitt Romney appeared in the opening segment of the CMT’s Wednesday night and, for the first time, were on the same team.
3. Drones: How Obama Learned to Kill
In the latest installment of our Op-Vid series, The Daily Beast’s Daniel Klaidman explains how drones have become an irresistible tool for President Obama, why the program is shrouded in secrecy, and whether critics will acknowledge the benefits of keeping soldiers out of harm’s way.
2. Nadal’s Never-Ending Wedgie-Picking
Spanish tennis star Rafael Nadal has no problem finding French Open titles: the 26-year-old has won six out of the last seven times at Roland Garros. But that wedgie? Seems as though Rafa just keeps searching! As Nadal makes his way toward a record seventh title in Paris, watch our mashup of the tennis star’s compulsive butt-picking tic—and one rival’s hilarious imitation.
1. Obama Sings ‘Call Me Maybe’
The president’s viral alter ego is back, and this time he’s covering the biggest song of the summer. All we can say is: this is crazy!