News from Israel
Palestine Casts First-Ever Vote at UN General Assembly
Quote of the day:
"I heard one of them saying he's in favor of human rights but not civil rights [for Palestinians]. Meaning, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. It’s like in South Africa."
--Former cabinet minister Dan Meridor wonders what happens to the morals of his party, Likud.
- Israeli soldiers get six months in jail for beating blindfolded Palestinian - Military judges ruled the soldiers had harmed the man's body, his dignity and 'the IDF’s image as a moral army.' (Haaretz+ andYnet)
- Bedouins call on court to save their Negev village - 'The court could avoid making a clear ruling,' says attorney for Umm al-Hiran villagers. 'The bench is very mixed and anything could happen.' (Haaretz+)
- Palestinians cast first-ever vote in UN General Assembly - After status upgraded last year, Palestinian delegation participates in international decision-making. (Agencies, Ynet)
- Former Likud minister bashes own party for pushing apartheid legislation - In an interview with an American student, Dan Meridor laments Likud’s departure from its roots. (Haaretz+)
- Palestinian father of IDF soldier gets Israeli ID after nine-year wait - Hussein married and later divorced an Israeli woman, but his son's IDF service made him eligible for permanent residency. (Haaretz+)
- Israel Air Force strikes Gaza in response to rocket fire - Israeli military attacked empty building, Hamas says; no casualties reported. (Haaretz)
- As US clout wanes, Russia inks arms deal with Cairo - Russian Technologies chief Sergei Chemezov says Egypt also expressed interest in combat jets and helicopters. The deal comes as U.S.-Egyptian relations continue to waver over Washington's criticism of the July 3 military coup. (Agencies, Israel Hayom)
- In rare public display, Iranian Jews rally in support of nation's nuclear program - Iranian Jewish community, the largest in the region outside Israel and Turkey, tends to keep a low profile. (Agencies, Haaretz+PHOTOS)
For the full News from Israel.