"The history of detentions of the battling for the freedom of their people, in all countries, including our parents who fought for our freedom, teaches that there is no better school for terror than prison."--Ze'ev Tzachor argues that it's time to have a public debate about the Shin Bet's system of detaining and imprisoning Palestinians.
- Israel freezes plan to build Jerusalem park encroaching on Palestinian neighborhoods - Environmental Protection Minister Amir Peretz says proposal, which would hem in two East Jerusalem neighborhoods, has no 'particularly sensitive natural value.’ (Haaretz+)
- U.S. State Dept: Shutdown could hit military funding for Israel - The Obama administration had requested $3.1 billion for Israel for the 2014 fiscal year that began on Oct. 1, the day U.S. political stalemate forced a partial shutdown of government. (Agencies, Haaretz)
- Supreme Court rejects citizens' request to change nationality from 'Jewish' to 'Israeli' - Court rules against change in identity card registration, citing that there is no proof of the existence of a uniquely 'Israeli' people. (Haaretz+)
- Palestinian women visit Tel Aviv to promote peace - Parent’s Circle Family Forum enables Israelis, Palestinians to participate in exchange visit program, joint projects; events encourage reconciliation in midst of harsh reality. (Ynet)
- Grenada, Haiti recognize the State of Palestine - Grenada and Haiti have officially recognized the State of Palestine in a ceremony held at the United Nations headquarters in New York City last Friday. (Maan)
- The female spring: How Arab women change the face of Israel's local elections - A women’s umbrella group predicts a 150-percent increase in the number of Arab women on local councils after the October 22 vote. (Haaretz+)
- Hundreds of Palestinian troops deploy near restive West Bank camp - Officials say security forces assemble in response to rise in unrest in Jenin. (Agencies, Haaretz and Maan)
For the full News from Israel.