Surfer Dies From ‘Brain-Eating Amoeba’ After Visiting Texas Wave Pool
A 29-year-old New Jersey surfer has died from a “brain-eating amoeba” just days after visiting a wave pool at a Texas resort. Fabrizio Stabile tested positive for Naegleria fowleri, which destroys brain tissue and has a fatality rate of more than 97 percent, the day before his death last week, according to a GoFundMe page launched by his friends and family. Stabile reportedly began experiencing a severe headache after he returned home from his trip, and he was soon rushed to a hospital, unable to speak properly or move. The wave pool at the BSR surf resort has reportedly been closed while the Centers for Disease Control tests for the rare amoeba.