Independent Nation gives you the day’s five essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “Obama’s Ominous Surprises,” in Newsweek.David Frum on how Obama will handle the crises around the corner.
2. “Post-Campaign Super-PAC Cash Still Flowing to Consultants,” at Bloomberg.Months after the election, super-PAC founders give themselves a big payback.
3. “On the Fiscal Cliff, Republicans Got Nothin’,” at The Daily Beast.Daniel Gross on the GOP’s astounding lack of a counteroffer to the Dems.
4. “Is Immigration Reform Just Talk?” at The Daily Beast.The proposed Achieve Act is a start toward moving beyond posturing and Band-Aids, says Mark McKinnon.
5. “Will Playing Nice Pay Off for GOP in Filibuster Fight?” at Roll Call.Will John McCain play the elder statesman on filibuster reform?