Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “More Minor Party and Independent Legislators Elected in 2012 Than in Any Year Since 1942,” at Ballot Access News.25 were elected to state legislatures this year.
2. “Showdown at the Fiscal Cliff,” in Newsweek.In his standoff with the GOP, the president’s packing heat, says David Frum.
3. “Can Marco Rubio, Florida’s Young Hip-Loving Cuban Senator, Save the GOP?” in GQ. The 42-year-old junior senator thinks America is a place where people should be free to teach the Earth is however old they want it to be.
4. “Republicans At a Crossroads,” at Politico.More of the same, or time for a change? The Republican Governors Association suffers through the agony of choice, when the only options really may be sink or swim.
5. “Fla. GOP Tries to Defeat Crist Before He Can Run,” the Associated Press.The former governor can barely make a public statement without Republicans firing off a press release.