DECLASSIFIED

Trump Says He’ll Allow Release of Classified JFK Files

President Trump on Saturday said he would allow the release of confidential files on the assassination of former President John F. Kennedy. “Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened,” Trump announced on Twitter. It was not immediately clear what “further information” was required. Thousands of documents are slated to be released in accordance with the President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992, which gave the federal government a deadline of Oct. 26, 2017 to disclose the documents. Amid reports earlier this week that some administration officials were concerned about the files revealing information on U.S. intelligence programs, a White House spokeswoman on Friday said the administration would seek to “to ensure that the maximum amount of data can be released to the public,” Politico Magazine reported. Longtime Trump confidant Roger Stone, an enthusiastic peddler of conspiracy theories, had reportedly been pushing him to release the documents.