Women in the World Summit 2013 Agenda
Newsweek & The Daily Beast’s 2013 Women in the World Summit will welcome a variety of inspirational women on April 4 and 5 in New York City to discuss global issues and engage in first-person storytelling. Read the full agenda here. Plus, see the full list of speakers and buy tickets now!
Women in the World: Stories & SolutionsA Summit Hosted by Newsweek & The Daily Beast
AGENDA Programs and Participants Subject to Change
April 4–5, 2013The David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln CenterBroadway and 63rd Street, New York, New York
Hosts:Tina Brown, Dr. Hawa Abdi, Nizan Guanaes, Julie Hamp, Jane Harman, Maya L. Harris, Lauren Bush Lauren, Ai-jen Poo,Meryl Streep, Melanne Verveer, and Diane von Furstenberg
Executive Producer and Managing Editor: Kyle Gibson
Special Thanks to Our Presenting Sponsor: ToyotaLeadership Sponsors: AT&T, Bank of America, The Coca-Cola Company,Liberty Mutual Insurance, Merck for Mothers, and WalmartSupporting Sponsors: Mary Kay and Thomson Reuters
The Women in the World Summit will explore the global issues behind the news through narratives of courageous, indomitable pioneers from disparate cultures who are fighting for the rights of women and girls.
THURSDAY, April 4, 2013
6:15 PM EVENING PROGRAM
PERFORMANCE BY MICHAELA DEPRINCEFrom an orphanage in wartorn Sierra Leone to center stage at the Dance Theatre of Harlem: ballerina Michaela DePrince in a performance inspired by the remarkable story of her life.
• Michaela DePrince, Ballerina, Dance Theatre of Harlem Company
WELCOME BY TINA BROWN AND CO-HOSTS: THE WOMAN I’M HERE FORCo-hosts stand up for a woman they believe in.
• Tina Brown, Editor in Chief, Newsweek & The Daily Beast
• Dr. Hawa Abdi, Founder, Dr. Hawa Abdi Foundation; Author, Keeping Hope Alive
• Nizan Guanaes, Chairman, Grupo ABC
• Julie Hamp, Chief Communications Officer, Toyota Motor North America, Inc.
• The Honorable Jane Harman, Director, President, and CEO, Woodrow Wilson Center; Former United States Congresswoman
• Maya L. Harris, Vice President, Democracy, Rights and Justice, Ford Foundation
• Lauren Bush Lauren, Chief FEEDer and Cofounder, FEED
• Ai-jen Poo, Director, National Domestic Workers Alliance; Codirector, Caring Across Generations Campaign
• Melanne Verveer, Former U.S. Ambassador for Global Women's Issues
• Diane von Furstenberg, Cochairman and Founder, Diane von Furstenberg Studio L.P.
IRELAND’S FIREBRAND AND PEACEMAKER:A TRIBUTE TO INEZ MCCORMACKMeryl Streep pays tribute to Inez McCormack, the human rights activist, peacemaker, and influential voice in the Good Friday Agreement.
• Meryl Streep, Actress
SYRIA: WOMEN IN WAREyewitness accounts of the latest atrocities in Syria.
• Mouna Ghanem, Cofounder and Deputy to the President, Building of the Syrian State Movement; Coordinator, Women Make Peace Platform
• Zainab Salbi, Founder, Women for Women International
• Moderated by: Barbara Walters, Correspondent, ABC News; Creator, Co-Executive Producer, and Co-Host, ABC's The View
SOUTH AFRICA'S NEW POWER PLAYERDr. Mamphela Ramphele, the legendary firebrand against apartheid and partner of the brutally murdered activist Steve Biko, is forming a bold new political party—and it’s riling many of her former colleagues in the African National Congress.
• Dr. Mamphela Ramphele, Leader, Agang
• Interviewed by: Charlie Rose, Executive Editor and Anchor, Charlie Rose; Anchor, CBS This Morning
THE NEXT GENERATION OF MALALASOscar-winning documentary filmmaker Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy introduces us to two young women in Pakistan who are fighting in obscurity and risking their lives for the rights of women and girls—including the right to go to school.
• Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy, CEO, SOC Films
• Moderated by: Christiane Amanpour, CBE, Host, Amanpour, CNN International; Global Affairs Anchor, ABC News
ANGELINA JOLIE: MALALA UNDAUNTEDAngelina Jolie showcases Malala Yousafzai's powerful new initiative.
• Angelina Jolie, Writer, Director, Actor, and Special Envoy to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
8:30 PM WOMEN IN THE WORLD FOUNDATION FUNDRAISING DINNER Presented by Bank of America
REMARKS BY ANNE FINUCANE
• Anne Finucane, Global Strategy and Marketing Officer, Bank of America
WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT AFGHANISTANSome of the most powerful women fighting for the future of Afghanistan join with the country's most influential media mogul and entrepreneur Saad Mohseni, CEO of MOBY Group, to illuminate what's really happening in Afghanistan, and what might surprise you to learn.
• Rina Amiri, Senior Mediation Expert, United Nations
• Fawzia Koofi, Member and Chairperson of Women's Rights and Human Rights Committee, Parliament, Afghanistan
• Saad Mohseni, Chairman and CEO, MOBY Group
• Moderated by: Andrea Mitchell, Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent, NBC News; Host, Andrea Mitchell Reports, MSNBC
10:00 PM END OF EVENING
FRIDAY, April 5, 2013
9:00 AM MORNING PROGRAM
THE HONORABLE HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON
GROOMING TITANS OF TECH: THE FUTURE INNOVATORS, INFLUENCERS, AND ENTREPRENEURSPresented by AT&TTechnology is transforming the way we live, but who is transforming technology? This high-powered panel looks at the female groundbreakers and entrepreneurs shaping the future of tech innovation.
• Leah Busque, Founder and CEO, TaskRabbit
• Esther Lee, Senior Vice President, Brand Marketing, Advertising, and Sponsorships, AT&T
• Reshma Saujani, Founder, Girls Who Code
• Andrea Zurek, Founding Partner, XG Ventures
• Moderated by: Chelsea Clinton, Board Member, The Clinton Foundation
OUTCRY IN INDIA The vicious gang rape of a Delhi student last December sparked an unprecedented outpouring of outrage and remorse across India. Women in the World explores what has fueled the sexual abuse of women for generations adn whether the tide might finally be shifting.
• Shoma Chaudhury, Managing Editor, Tehelka
• Barkha Dutt, Journalist and TV Anchor, NDTV
• Mallika Dutt, President and CEO, Breakthrough
• Ravi Kant, President, Shakti Vahini
• Divya*, Survivor and Activist*Name has been changed to protect identity
• Moderated by: Cynthia McFadden, Co-Anchor, ABC News' Nightline
11:00 AM BREAK
11:20 AM MORNING PROGRAM (Continued)
LATINA POWERWhat does it mean to be a Latina in America, and how does the political immigration battle shape the dreams and ambitions of the nation’s largest growing immigrant population? Three Latinas who have reached the top rungs of success share their stories.
• Eva Longoria, Actress, Activist, and Philanthropist
• Lorena Chambers, CEO, Chambers Lopez Strategies LLC
• Maribel Lieberman, Founder and CEO, MarieBelle New York
• Moderated by: Campbell Brown, Writer and Former Anchor, NBC and CNN
DISPATCH FROM LIBYAAn interview with 23-year-old Alaa Murabit, who supported the rebels in the 2011 Libyan uprising and has since become a political force for women in Libya.
• Alaa Murabit, Founder and President, The Voice of Libyan Women
• Interviewed by: Lesley Stahl, Correspondent, 60 Minutes
PHIONA MAKES A MOVEUgandan Phiona Mutesi is perhaps the world's most unlikely chess champion. Having grown up in one of Kampala's poorest slums, she is now a national champion and one of a growing cadre of girls benefiting from the skills and confidence that training in chess can bestow upon young people.
• Garry Kasparov, Chairman, United Civil Front of Russia, and Former World Chess Champion
• Robert Katende, Director, SOM, Kampala
• Phiona Mutesi, Candidate Master and National Chess Champion, Uganda
• Marisa van der Merwe, Developer, Award-Winning MiniChess Program; Cofounder and Trustee, Moves for Life
• Moderated by: Norah O'Donnell, Co-Host, CBS This Morning, CBS News
MOTHERS OF INVENTION: KAVITA M. SHUKLA Presented by Toyota A young prize-winning inventor shares the story of how a visit with her grandmother in India led her to create an ingenious device for preserving food.
• Kavita M. Shukla, Inventor, Founder, and CEO, Fenugreen
• Interviewed by: Rula Jebreal, TV Host and and Foreign Policy Expert, MSNBC
12:45 PM DELEGATE LUNCH
WOMEN IN THE WORLD LUNCH INTERVIEW WITH AMBASSADOR SUSAN E. RICEAmbassador Susan E. Rice, formerly a high-level adviser in President Bill Clinton's National Security Council, discusses how 21st century threats are changing the nature of diplomacy.
• Ambassador Susan E. Rice, U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations
• Interviewed by: Andrea Mitchell, Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent, NBC News; Host, Andrea Mitchell Reports, MSNBC
2:00 PM AFTERNOON PROGRAM
HOW TO BUILD A WOMAN LEADERPresented by Bank of AmericaNo power on earth is stronger than that of two women from different worlds working together. Woman-to-woman collaboration is changing lives across the globe, from bringing meaningful change to the reconstruction of Haiti and building bridges to peace in the Middle East to creating empowering economic opportunities in India—all impacted by the Global Ambassadors Program.
• Justine Metz, Head of Global Wealth and Investment Marketing and Sales Support, Bank of America
• Alyse Nelson, President and CEO, Vital Voices Global Partnership
• Danielle Saint-Lôt, Ambassador at Large, Republic of Haiti; Cofounder and Special Adviser, Femmes en Démocratie
• Moderated by: Gillian Tett, Assistant Editor and Columnist, Financial Times
OPRAH: MEET MY HEROOprah Winfrey interviews her all-time favorite guest—the Zimbabwean dynamo who is revolutionizing education for women and girls across Africa after being forbidden to attend school as a child.
• Dr. Tererai Trent, Scholar, Humanitarian, and Founder, Tinogona Foundation
• Interviewed by: Oprah Winfrey, Chairman and CEO, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network and Harpo Studios
WOMEN, MONEY, AND POWERPresented by The Coca-Cola CompanyThree global leaders with unmatched expertise discuss the integral role of women in uplifting economies.
• Muhtar Kent, Chairman and CEO, The Coca-Cola Company
• Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Federal Republic of Nigeria
• Güler Sabanci, Chairman and Managing Director, Sabanci Holding
• Moderated by: Melanne Verveer, Former U.S. Ambassador for Global Women's Issues
DIANE VON FURSTENBERG: WOMEN IN THE WORLD INTERVIEWThe legendary Diane von Furstenberg on the women who have the most influenced her professionally, personally, and in her philanthropic work.
• Diane von Furstenberg, Cochairman and Founder, Diane von Furstenberg Studio L.P.
• Interviewed by: Lara Spencer, Co-Anchor, ABC's Good Morning America
STOLEN DAUGHTERSIs there any pain greater than having a daughter stolen by traffickers? One brave mother from Latin America describes her search and confrontation with corruption, coercion, and organized crime.
• Susana Trimarco, Founder and President, Maria de los Ángeles Foundation
• Joy Ngozi Ezeilo, Special Rapporteur on Trafficking in Persons, United Nations
• Interviewed by: Christopher Dickey, Paris Bureau Chief and Middle East Editor, Newsweek & The Daily Beast
ROZ BREWER GIVES BACKPresented by WalmartAs a rising star at Walmart, and now as CEO of Sam's Club, Roz Brewer has used the size and scale of the world’s most powerful retailer to create new opportunities for women across the globe.
• Rosalind G. Brewer, President and CEO, Sam’s Club
• Interviewed by: Pat Mitchell, President and CEO, The Paley Center for Media
SAVING MOTHERS: A SURPRISING SOLUTIONPresented by Merck for MothersFor too many mothers, the start of a newborn's life can mean the end of their own. Maternal mortality is a worldwide problem, and the real tragedy is that we have the power to prevent most of these deaths. Hear how the African nation of Malawi has found an unexpected way to shape new practices while still respecting ancient customs—and why the answer lies with men.
• Christy Turlington Burns, Founder, Every Mother Counts
• Julie L. Gerberding, M.D., M.P.H., President, Merck Vaccines
• Senior Chief Kwataine Masina, Board Chairperson, Presidential Initiative on Maternal Health and Safe Motherhood, Malawi
• Molly Melching, Founder and Executive Director, Tostan
• Moderated by: Deborah Roberts, Network Correspondent, ABC News
5:00 PM BREAK
5:20 PM AFTERNOON PROGRAM (Continued)
MOTHERS OF INVENTION: THE O’NEILL SISTERSPresented by ToyotaWhen a tornado destroyed their Massachusetts hometown, two sisters created a digital platform to organize their community’s rebuilding efforts. This online tool is now being used in disaster-stricken communities across the globe—from post-Sandy Staten Island to Mexico and Australia.
• Caitria O’Neill, Cofounder and Chief Executive, Recovers
• Morgan O’Neill, Cofounder and Chief Science Officer, Recovers
• Interviewed by: Claire Danes, Actress
TOM HANKS CELEBRATES NORA EPHRONTom Hanks offers a special tribute to the magic of Nora Ephron, the legendary journalist, writer, and director who died last spring. Having appeared in two of Ephron's hit films, Hanks is now making his Broadway debut in Ephron's final work: Lucky Guy.
• Tom Hanks, Actor
THE SEARCH FOR HOMEPresented by Liberty Mutual InsuranceIn wartorn Sierra Leone, an orphaned girl dreamed of becoming a ballerina. Her adoption by an American couple helped bring her dream to life. A conversation with 18-year-old Michaela DePrince, a soloist with the Dance Theatre of Harlem; her mother, Elaine DePrince, who adopted nine children from desperate circumstances; and Jane Aronson, who has devoted her life to the world’s 160 million orphans.*
• Dr. Jane Aronson, Founder and CEO, Worldwide Orphans Foundation
• Elaine DePrince
• Michaela DePrince, Ballerina, Dance Theatre of Harlem Company
• Moderated by: Juju Chang, Special Correspondent, ABC News' Nightline
*With a special contribution by Maya Angelou
SPANX SPEAKS: FOUNDER SARA BLAKELYMeet the world's youngest female self-made billionaire, who turned her own life savings into a $250 million business while maintaining 100 percent ownership.
• Sara Blakely, Founder and Inventor, SPANX
• Interviewed by: Felicia Taylor, Business Correspondent, CNN International
MOTHERS OF INVENTION: SEJAL HATHI AND TARA ROBERTSPresented by ToyotaMeet the brilliant brains behind the online crowd-sourcing community that funds disruptive ideas and ventures aimed at helping girls all over the world.
• Sejal Hathi, Cofounder and Strategic Partnerships Director, girltank
• Tara Roberts, Cofounder and CEO, girltank
• Interviewed by: America Ferrera, Actor, Producer, and Activist
BURMA’S GIRLS IN THE WORLDFive vibrant musicians in an inspirational performance and interview about the powerful role of women in the new Burma.
• Me N Ma Girls, Burma's First All Original Female Pop Music Group
WOMEN IN THE WORLD FINALE