Ashley Judd has had enough of what she calls a “pointedly nasty, gendered, and misogynistic" conversation about femininity in our culture, and she’s inviting women—and men!—to speak up about their own experiences. “I want people to share their puffy-face moment,” Judd said on NBC’s Nightly News. "Talk about being excoriated," she said, or "humiliated," or "objectified," and how it felt.
“I think what happened to me is very common. It might look a little different than other people’s lives because they might not be public figures, but we all go through it.”
The star was candid about the personal pain she had gone through in dealing with press coverage of her appearance, and swatted away the idea that Hollywood mainstays should be held to a different standard. “I don’t think being a public figure makes it legitimate to criticize people the way they are currently criticized in this cultural climate,” she said.
The Daily Beast wants to hear your own “puffy-face” moments. Here’s how to share and possibly get it featured in the digital pages of The Daily Beast:
1. Comment: Register or log in as a commenter here on The Daily Beast (click "login" or "signup" below) and leave your story as a comment on this page. Be sure to tell us your name so we can give credit where credit is due—or if preferred, keep it anonymous.
2. Email: You can send your story to editors of The Daily Beast by sending an email to email@example.com.
3. Twitter: Tweet your story, in however many characters it takes, using the hashtag #puffyfacemoment. We'll retweet some and compile them here on The Daily Beast.
4. Facebook: Tell us your story by leaving it in a post on our Facebook.
5. Tumblr: Tumblr users can send us a message or post a story with the hashtag #puffyfacemoment. We'll be reflagging our favorites on Newsweek's Tumblr site throughout the week, and compiling them here on the Beast as well.
6. YouTube: Want to tell us your story on video? Just use your webcam to shoot a YouTube response and send us the link to the email address listed above, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay tuned to The Daily Beast to see our readers' puffy-face moments.