Sarah Palin is in the news again, this time as the subject of a magazine feature. Heres what everyone's talking about.
Todd S. Purdum’s Vanity Fair piece on Sarah Palin hit the newsstands yesterday. It has caused quite a stir among the political chattering classes. With Weekly Standard editor William Kristol, McCain-Palin adviser Steve Schmidt and McCain foreign-policy adviser Randy Scheunemann each getting in on some post-publication finger-pointing.
What’s all the fuss about?
The Daily Beast brings you the top 10 quotations from the nearly 10,000-word article.
1. “I don’t care how talented she is, this is really a leap.” That’s Barack Obama, who told his aides it took him four months to learn the ropes on the national scene, describing the challenge that Palin confronted.
“Little Shop of Horrors.” The nickname given to Palin by one McCain friend.
2. “Little Shop of Horrors.” The nickname given to Palin by one McCain friend.
3. “I don’t give a damn what she does.” So said former two-term governor of Alaska Walter Hickel.
4. “Was it possible that she was experiencing postpartum depression?” This one is Todd Purdum, presenting the concerns of some “top aides” that Palin was struggling after the recent birth of her son, Trig.
5. “I don’t think she could figure out who to trust.” Here’s a McCain friend on Palin’s inability to listen to her staffers.
6. “Are those John’s wishes?” Palin wanted to know if it was McCain who didn’t want her to give a concession speech on the night of the election.
7. “Remember, her nickname in high school was ‘Barracuda.’” Alaska state senator Lyda Green on Palin’s instincts.
8. “Trig’s Creator, Your Heavenly Father.” Palin’s email signoff in an email to friends announcing the birth of her son.
9. “Check my feet for horseshoes if I have to sit there and listen to another talk show.” Former top Palin aide John Bitney on the direction of Palin’s family affairs.
10. “You sort of want a guy who’s very easygoing, gives good advice, and doesn’t add to the natural nervousness.” Speechwriter Mark Salter on The Daily Beast’s Mark McKinnon and his previously undisclosed role coaching Palin before her first debate against Joe Biden.