The Independent Rundown, December 5
Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “George W. Bush to Republicans: Embrace Immigration,” at The Daily Beast.
The former president devoted his second major policy speech since leaving office to immigration reform. It was a rebuke to Romney, says John Avlon.
2. “Sheldon Adelson: ‘I’m Basically a Social Liberal,’” at The Wall Street Journal.
So said the casino magnate in a three-hour interview.
3. “Dave Brubeck Was Jazz’s Greatest Centrist,” at The Daily Beast.
Take five – hits from the Brubeck catalog, that is. By Matt DeLuca.
4. “Montgomery Burns Explains the Fiscal Cliff,” at Slate.
Because seemingly no politician can.
5. “How the Coastline Became a Place to Put the Poor,” in The New York Times.
Why were the Rockaways devastated by Sandy? Ask Robert Moses.