Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “George W. Bush to Republicans: Embrace Immigration,” at The Daily Beast.
The former president devoted his second major policy speech since leaving office to immigration reform. It was a rebuke to Romney, says John Avlon.
2. “Sheldon Adelson: ‘I’m Basically a Social Liberal,’” at The Wall Street Journal.
So said the casino magnate in a three-hour interview.
3. “Dave Brubeck Was Jazz’s Greatest Centrist,” at The Daily Beast.
Take five – hits from the Brubeck catalog, that is. By Matt DeLuca.
4. “Montgomery Burns Explains the Fiscal Cliff,” at Slate.
Because seemingly no politician can.
5. “How the Coastline Became a Place to Put the Poor,” in The New York Times.
Why were the Rockaways devastated by Sandy? Ask Robert Moses.
Last week's tragic fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, has brought the issue of government regulation back to the forefront. On Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Beast's Political Director John Avlon denounces deregulation rhetoric.
The strange, opaque world of politically minded nonprofits. By John Avlon and Michael Keller.