1. INVESTIGATION

    Norway: Breivik Likely Acted Alone

    Norwegian Anders Behring Breivik (L), the man accused of a killing spree and bomb attack in Norway, sits in the rear of a vehicle as he is transported in a police convoy as he is leaving the courthouse in Oslo July 25, 2011. A judge ordered eight weeks detention on Monday for Breivik who has admitted a bombing and shooting massacre that killed about 90 people and who claimed in court to have two more groups of collaborators. Custody, in line with prosecutors' request, will allow them to investigate the case against Breivik, 32, an anti-Islamic zealot who has previously claimed sole responsibility for Friday's attacks. The custody can be extended.

    Scanpix Norway / Reuters

    This is a small relief. Norway's intelligence chief says she believes Anders Behring Breivik acted alone when he killed 76 people in and around Oslo on Friday. Breivik had claimed he is part of a European and U.K. right-wing network. Nevertheless, Janne Kristiansen says her agency is still investigating whether Breivik had accomplices. Kristiansen also cast doubt on claims made by Breivik's lawyer that his client is insane, saying that Breivik was calculating and sought the limelight. Early Wednesday Oslo's central station was evacuated after a suitcase was found on a bus. Police also issued—then retracted—a statement that a “dangerous” ex-convict who identified with Breivik was on the loose.

    Read it at BBC