Connecticut Fire Caused by Embers

    Stamford firefighter Nick Tamburro pays respect outside the home of Madonna Badger in Stamford, Conn., Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011.  A fire at the home on Christmas morning killed Badger's three daughters and parents. The Christmas Day fire that killed three children and their grandparents was a tragic accident related to a fireplace in the home, not the result of foul play, Stamford Mayor Michael Pavia said Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

    Jessica Hill / AP Photo

    The Connecticut house fire that killed three young girls and their grandparents on Christmas Day was caused by embers from the fireplace that Michael Borcina, a contractor working on the home and family friend, discarded in a bag. (Borcina survived the fire, along with the girls’ mother, Madonna Badger.) It’s unclear if the home had working fire detectors, though the building permit included plans for the installation of a new security alarm and fire and smoke detection system. An inspection of the home in July found no problems with the home or Borcina’s renovations.

    Read it at The New York Times