The chemical facility in West Virginia that poisoned drinking water for 300,000 people had not been visited by environmental inspectors since 1991, The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday night. The facility owned by Freedom Industries spilled 7,500 gallons of 4-methylcyclohexane methanol through a one-inch hole in a tank last week. The feds don't inspect most above-ground chemical storage units, and West Virginia had not yet forced Freedom Industries to implement a groundwater protection plan. Too late now.
WHERE WERE THEY? Michael Switzer DesignWorks/Getty