It’s that time of year again: Thanksgiving, a chance to catch up with friends and family, gorge on turkey, and endure an exhausting travel schedule. That also means it’s time for The Daily Beast’s annual rundown of the worst airports in America. You might not be able to avoid these terminals, but at least you can factor in extra travel time and have a few stress balls handy.
To find the 25 Worst Airports in America, we started by looking at the busiest airports, based on Airports Council International data, for an initial pool of nearly 50 sites. We then took into account six factors: on-time performance for arrivals and departures for 2012, and on-time performance for arrivals and departures during the most recent busy travel holidays (Presidents’ Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, winter holidays), with data from the U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics—accounting for 80 percent of the final ranking. The remaining 20 percent was split between the most recent airport comfort and amenities study by JD Power and Associates—with scores re-ranked within the pool of nearly 50 airports—and the median maximum security wait time during peak periods, with data from Flight Explorer.