The News From Israel
The Fight Over the Racist (Chief?) Rabbi
Orly Halpern rounds up the news from Israel.
"Dwelling on the victim, on the pain, on what was done to us, that's the easy part. Delving into our identity, asking what is a teacher's duty and what you teachers will do tomorrow in class, that's the challenge."-- In powerful speech at Yad Vashem, Education Minister Shai Piron says the Holocaust must be taught as "a source of human compassion and recognition of the rights of others."
- Right-wing activist arrested in connection to 'price tag' attack on monastery - Wearing a T-shirt with the words "Jews, let's win," Moshe Orbach, was arrested for spraying graffiti last September on the walls of a Christian monastery in Latrun, near Jerusalem. It included the words 'Migron' and 'Jesus is a monkey.' (Haaretz and Ynet+PHOTOS and NRG Hebrew+PHOTOS)
- Suspicion: Beitar Jerusalem fans attack Arabs - Security cameras at Jerusalem shopping center document riots; police say two fans attack Arabs with chair; fan insists argument erupted, resolved quickly. (Ynet)
- Hundreds of Palestinian fishermen protest in Gaza City against Israel's treatment of them - Israel has tortured, shot and killed Palestinian fishermen since the blockade was tightened seven years ago, an Agricultural Work Committee official said. "Israel is practicing all kinds of psychological humiliation against fishermen, often stripping them of their clothes while arresting them, even in times of extreme cold." (More from Maan)
- Yesh Atid against Habayit Hayehudi: Retract your support for (racist) Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu - MK Aliza Lavie sent a letter to Habayit Hayehudi Chairman Naftali Bennett attacking the party's candidate for Sephardic Chief Rabbi, who said it was forbidden to sell apartments to Arabs. "His views do not represent the values of your voters," wrote Lavie. (Maariv, p. 10)
- IDF: Harassment of haredi soldiers reminiscent of Der Sturmer - Senior IDF officer paints disturbing picture of physical harm, incitement against haredi recruits, including spitting, tire slashing, house spraying. (Ynet)
For the full News from Israel.