Conor McGregor, the mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter and boxer, has been charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief by police in New York.
The Irish fighter surrendered to police in New York after triggering a manhunt when he and his entourage attacked a bus carrying other MMA fighters.
Footage of the attack that emerged online appeared to show McGregor and his entourage throwing large objects, including a hand truck, chairs, and a crowd barrier, at a bus taking rival fighters away from a press conference at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
Police earlier said one person had been injured when a bus window was smashed, the Irish Times reported.
McGregor was irate after the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) announced it was finally stripping him of his lightweight title, as he has not fought an MMA bout in well over a year. He lost in a regular boxing bout to Floyd Mayweather last summer, but has not fought in UFC since winning his belt in November 2016.
McGregor initially responded to the news his title was being taken on Twitter, writing: “You’s’ll strip me of nothing you’s do nothing c---s,” but the fighter and an entourage then turned up at a press conference in Brooklyn for a forthcoming UFC event at which the belt would be up for grabs.
In a statement, the UFC said a vehicle had been “vandalised,” adding, “The organization deems today’s disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow.”
UFC President Dana White, a longtime advocate of McGregor’s, called the incident “one of the most disgusting things that’s happened in the history of the company,” according to a report in the Irish Times.
McGregor fled the building before surrendering to police. He was charged in the early hours of Friday morning and is due to appear in court later today.
Some fights have been canceled as a result of the disturbance.
Michael Chiesa tweeted to say the New York Athletic Commission had decided to pull him from his bout against Anthony Pettis. Addressing his opponent Anthony Pettis, he said: “I’m devastated to say the least. @Showtimepettis I hope to run this match up ASAP, June 9th in your backyard. That’s all I have to say for now. Much love.”
McGregor's training partner Artem Lobov, who was due to take part in a featherweight bout with Alex Caceres, was also said to be involved in the vandalism of the bus.
UFC released a statement to say he had been removed from the weekend’s card.