Politics

Hegseth Launches Twisted Attack on Free Press Over Carrier Scandal

AXED

The publisher and editor of Stars and Stripes were given the boot after an interview cautioning against censorship.

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth listens as U.S. President Donald Trump answers questions from the media after signing an executive order establishing the President's Military Spouse Commission to be chaired by Jennifer Rauchet, wife of Hegseth, in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., August 3, 2026. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein
Evelyn Hockstein/REUTERS

Pete Hegseth’s Pentagon on Friday fired the publisher and editor of the independent military news outlet Stars and Stripes for “insubordination.”

Long-time publisher Max Lederer and Editor-in-Chief Erik Slavin were given “separation notices” that allow five days to appeal the decision, CBS News reports. Reporter Lara Korte announced on social media that she had also been fired.

Korte and Slavin traced the decision back to interviews they did that aired on CBS Sunday Morning in July.

“According to the notice, I am being fired for stating in a CBS interview that censorship of news for service members would constitute a red line. The Pentagon’s public affairs office has charged me with insubordination,” Slavin told CBS.

“I stand by the principle that Stars and Stripes must remain editorially independent, as required by law and by the department’s own policies.”

Lara Korte announces she's being fired from Stars and Stripes for insubordination.
Lara Korte announces she's being fired from Stars and Stripes for insubordination. X

“It’s a shame for the institution and service members, who swore to defend the Constitution and deserve the right to a free and independent press,” Korte wrote in a series of posts about her firing.

Although the newspaper operates within the Department of Defense, it is legally mandated by Congress to remain editorially independent.

Lederer had announced on Wednesday his intention to step down from the post he’s held since 2007, since his opinions on how to run the media organization differed in “fundamental ways” to the Pentagon’s plans for Stars and Stripes, the newspaper reported.

“I think the right step is for me to step down, get out of the way, and let different leadership step in and continue to make this, the great organization that it is, even better,” he said.

Lederer was slated to finish up his tenure on Sept. 30, but now both he and his editor-in-chief have been turfed out.

The move comes after President Donald Trump, Hegseth, and other military leaders downplayed reporting on dire conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln reported by families of service members.

Earlier this year, chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell posted a statement about the news outlet on X.

“We are bringing Stars & Stripes into the 21st century. We will modernize its operations, refocus its content away from woke distractions that syphon morale, and adapt it to serve a new generation of service members,” the statement said in part.

Sean Parnell's statement in January about Stars and Stripes.
Sean Parnell's statement in January about Stars and Stripes. X

In the CBS Sunday Morning interview that led to Slavin’s firing, he said he did not know what the “woke distractions” Parnell was referring to were.

In an open letter published on Stars and Stripes Friday afternoon, the new military deputy to the publisher, Navy Capt. Bill Urban, said the military remained “deeply committed” to the editorial independence of the news outlet.

It is funded in part by the American taxpayer, and has a daily circulation of around 1.4 million. The staff are all employed by the Pentagon.

The Department of Defense declined to comment on the situation, but a Pentagon official did confirm the separation notices were “very real.”

Slavin and Lederer did not immediately reply to a request for comment.