AWFUL

Officials: Vape Pen Explosion Linked to Florida Man’s Death

Florida authorities say that a vape pen that exploded may be linked to a man’s death, according to the Miami Herald. Firefighters arrived at a St. Petersburg home on Saturday after a calls of a fire at the residence, and they found the body of 38-year-old Tallmadge D’Elia with “injuries to his face.” Authorities say a “vape pen exploded in his face as he was using it.” A spokesman for St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue said vape pens feature a “a lithium battery and they start to generate heat… In this case, we believe that exploded.” Law enforcement concluded that the explosion caused “a small fire,” but have not said if the explosion or the fire killed D’Elia. Twenty-five vape pen explosions occurred in 2009-2014, with some incidents knocking out people’s teeth and causing burns.