FALL GUYS?

Saudi Arabia Seeks Death Penalty for Five Accused of Jamal Khashoggi’s Killing

Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor, Saudi Al-Mojeb, told journalists in a rare press conference in Riyadh on Thursday that 11 suspects have been indicted over Jamal Khashoggi’s killing. He said the highest-level official behind the killing is former Saudi deputy intelligence chief Ahmad al-Assiri. The prosecutor said the death penalty is being sought for five of the suspects. A statement released Thursday said those indicted were among 21 suspects who have been held in custody and the “investigation with the remaining suspects will continue in order to determine their involvement and their role in the crime.” Saudi Arabia said it has “submitted formal requests to brotherly authorities in Turkey” to obtain “audio recordings” related to the case and is awaiting a response to the requests. The announcement came after Turkish authorities produced X-rays of the suspected killers’ bags containing a “murder kit” that included syringes, electro-shock devices, and a blade similar to a scalpel as they departed Istanbul after they allegedly murdered the Washington Post journalist and dissident inside the Saudi consulate last month. None of the charges mention Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who has had close ties to several of the suspects.