World

Soccer Star, 18, Dies in Venezuelan Earthquakes

'HEART-WRENCHING FAREWELL'

The player is just one of over a thousand Venezuelans who have died in the twin earthquakes.

Yimvert Berroteran of Venezuela runs with the ball during the FIFA Under-17 World Cup match between Egypt and Venezuela at Aspire Academy on November 07, 2025 in Doha, Qatar.
Chris Ricco - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images

Venezuelan soccer player Yimvert Berroterán, 18, died in the earthquakes that struck the country last week. “Venezuelan football bids a heart-wrenching farewell to a young man who represented our country’s colors with pride, commitment, and love,” the Venezuelan Football Federation (FVF) said in a statement Saturday. Berroterán was best known for playing in the 2025 Under-17 World Cup for Venezuela during the team’s match against England. He had joined the senior side of the Venezuelan soccer club Universidad Central de Venezuela and was part of the team when they won the Venezuela Cup. ”Yimvert, we weep knowing that you are now in heaven, alongside so many other dreamers who tragically fell victim to the natural disaster that struck our country,” his agency, Agencia Secasports, said in a separate statement. Berroterán is just one of over a thousand Venezuelans who have died after Wednesday evening’s twin magnitude 7.2 and 7.5 earthquakes. Thousands are injured and still missing. Venezuela is located between the South American and Caribbean plates, where powerful earthquakes are not uncommon.

Read it at People