How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying canceled what would have been its 100th performance on Broadway on Wednesday night after a stagehand died backstage from what police say was a drug overdose. “Apparently it happened in a bathroom backstage, and it was very, very serious,” a theater industry executive told The New York Times. Several packets of heroin were found “in the vicinity” of the 29-year-old stagehand, one law enforcement official told the Los Angeles Times. Police say the stagehand was found unconscious and in cardiac arrest backstage shortly before 8 p.m. Hundreds of audience members sat in their seats as he was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. The show’s stars Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette stepped onto the stage an hour later to announce the cancellation, explaining that “they debated it for a long time, and that there was a tragedy and they didn’t feel comfortable performing,” one audience member recalled.
TOP 10 RIGHT NOW
SHOP WITH SCOUTED