TOP 10 RIGHT NOW
Read it at The New York Times
International news juggernaut Al Jazeera may soon be reaching a wider American audience. On Wednesday the organization acquired Current TV, the cable-news channel founded by Al Gore seven years ago. Current TV is currently available in 60 percent of American homes with cable or satellite. As part of the reported new deal, Al Jazeera will create a new channel based in New York that will produce about 60 percent of its content in the U.S., and use its Qatar-based Al Jazeera English channel to program the other 40 percent. While Al Jazeera may retain some Current staffers, the latter channel’s lineup will probably dissolve in the spring.