Unsettling

Report Offers Disturbing New Details on San Bernardino Attack

Federal officials offered disturbing new details on Friday about the San Bernardino terror attack last year that killed 14 people. Three of the 14 victims of the massacre had attempted to stop the husband-and-wife terror team when they opened fire, rushing at them only to be gunned down, a new report says. The report by the Department of Justice and the Police Foundation, released on Friday, provides a more detailed look at what the victims went through after Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, opened fire at a holiday gathering in December 2015. One woman wounded in the attack had “asked a wounded co-worker to call her mother to say goodbye,” according to the report. “The co-worker tried to comfort her and asked if she was OK. The victim said, ‘I’m not. I’m bleeding from the mouth.’ And then she closed her eyes for good.” The report also revealed that Farook and Malik fired shots at anybody who moved or made a sound during the siege. Police cited in the report described a scene of absolute chaos, as the police officers first on the scene were forced to ignore the wounded victims to pursue the shooters. “Some people were quiet, hiding, others were screaming or dying, grabbing at your legs because they wanted us to get them out... that was the hardest part—stepping over them,” a police sergeant said in the report. Malik and Farook wounded 24 people in addition to the 14 they killed. They were killed themselves in the ensuing police shootout.