Shaved Fennel with Blood Oranges, Pecorino and Pomegranates
Yield: Makes 4 Servings
Ingredients: 2 large round fennel bulbs, trimmed, and several fennel fronds set aside Juice of 1 lemon 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 4 large blood oranges, peeled and segmented 1 cup pomegranate seeds Salt and freshly ground black pepper An 8-ounce chunk hard pecorino, such as sardo or toscano, for shaving
“I am a confessed fennel-holic and cannot get enough of its fresh crisp anise flavor.”
1. Using a mandoline or other vegetable slicer, shave the fennel crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Place in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice and olive oil. Add the blood orange segments, pomegranate seeds, and fennel fronds and toss gently to mix. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Arrange the fennel salad on four individual plates. Shave the pecorino in long shards over each plate, and serve.
Notes: SEGMENTING CITRUS
Using a paring knife, cut off the top and bottom of the fruit to expose the flesh. Stand the fruit upright on the work surface and, with your knife, carefully remove the skin and bitter white pith, working vertically from top to bottom and following the natural round shape of the fruit, turning it as you go. Carefully trim away any remaining pith.
To segment, hold the fruit over a bowl to catch the juices, and cut down along either side of the membrane to free each section of fruit. Then, if the recipe also calls for the juices, squeeze the membranes over the bowl to extract the remaining juices.
Potatoes Roasted with Garlic Cloves
Yield: Makes 4 Servings
Ingredients: 6 large waxy potatoes, such as yukon gold 1 head garlic, separated into cloves but not peeled 1 bunch rosemary, leaves finely chopped 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil Salt and freshly ground black pepper
"The blanching step helps develop the crusty, crunchy texture that makes these irresistible. (No one ever had to tell you to finish your potatoes, did they?)"
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Blanch in the boiling water for 2 minutes; drain.
3. Put the potatoes on a baking sheet and toss with the garlic, rosemary, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and spread out on the baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot.