Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “The Truly Grand Bargain,” at The New York Times. A short-term deal won’t do it, writes David Brooks. Will Republicans pull through?
2. “Obama Rejects GOP ‘Fiscal Cliff’ Offer, Says Tax Rates Must Rise,” in the Los Angeles Times.No deal without tax increases for the wealthiest two percent of Americans, President Obama said Tuesday.
3. “Same Players, Same Disputes in Fiscal Cliff Debate,” at CNN.A mere month until automatic spending cuts and tax hikes kick in, and the main players can’t agree on whether America’s wealthiest should pay more.
4. “Jeb Bush, With Cash and Clout, Pushes Contentious School Reforms,” at Reuters.Does the former Florida governor deserve the credit he gets on education?
5. “George W. Bush Says Immigrants Vital to Economy,” at Fox News Latino.43 broke his silence on immigration Tuesday.