Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “Votes of Independents Could Be Key,” in The Wall Street Journal.
A new Wall Street Journal / NBC News poll shows Mitt Romney leading 47 percent to 40 percent among independent voters.
2. “Dark Money Group’s Donors Revealed,” at ProPublica.
A Montana judge drew back the curtain on a social welfare nonprofit called Western Tradition Partnership. Should Karl Rove be shaking in his boots?
3. “Independent and Centrist Voters Breaking With Precedent,” at CNN.
There’s a fascinating dynamic in the way the final polls are breaking, John Avlon writes at CNN: “Mitt Romney is narrowly winning independent voters while President Obama is winning centrist voters by a nearly 20-point margin.”
4. “It’s the Future vs. the Past,” at The Daily Beast.
In Obama’s corner are the under-30 crowd, women under 50, and black and Hispanic voters, John Avlon writes. In Romney’s corner: white men and the elderly.
5. “A Voting Debacle in Doral Causes Chaos and Confusion,” in The Miami Herald.
When the Miami-Dade elections department decided to allow more early voting, chaos ensued.