The United Nations said Wednesday that Congo's rape victims are suffering reprisal attacks. The U.N. said fighters in eastern Congo targeted everyone: They gang-raped women, men, and children and forced family members to watch. Since news of the rapes became public in July and August of last year, causing an international outcry, only one person has been indicted on criminal charges related to the attacks, and a judicial inquiry into the rapes of those 387 people was suspended after officials learned about the reprisals. The U.N. mission in Congo came under scrutiny after investigators learned that the attacks occurred within 12 miles of a peacekeeping base.
TOP 10 RIGHT NOW