The U.S. State Department issued a harsh warning on Monday that the Syrian government could be planning a new massacre. The town of Haffa in the Latakia province is a target, officials said, because it has been blocked by United Nations observers. Victoria Nuland, the U.S. official, said the U.N. “made a particular appeal” to access Haffa “because it had heard concerning reports about regime plans.” U.N. special envoy Kofi Annan said that reports of mortar, helicopter, and tank attacks had been picked up. The U.S. downplayed stepping to the conflict, and also noted that Syria media reports said the Haffa massacre would be issued by the rebels, not Assad forces. A car bomb exploded in Deir al-Zour, killing 10 people.