Get ready to shatter your glass case of emotion. Two new trailers for Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues are here.
It’s been nine years since Will Ferrell suited up in Ron Burgundy's garish polyester and bid San Diego to stay classy. But in near-decade since Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy hit theaters, the film, about a group of local newscasters so boneheaded they make Kathie Lee and Hoda look like Edward R. Murrow and Walter Kronkite, the irreverent comedy grew from a peculiar oddity, to a cult hit, to a celebrated pillar of the cultural mainstream.
Why? It’s so darned quotable. And the sequel, based on these trailers alone, seems like it will follow (hideous plaid) suit.
When Anchorman 2 begins, our clueless/fearless hero Ron Burgundy is perplexed that his Channel 4 News broadcast focusing on waterskiing squirrels, watching breast implants bounce, and real-life experiments smoking crack on air is eclipsed in ratings and notoriety by a program anchored by his paramour—and professional rival—Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate). When a new 24-hour news network is looking to temper its stuffy coverage with lighter fare, the Channel 4 News boys (Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, and Dave Koechner) head east to showcase their signature fluff to the network’s head brass.
The sequel doesn’t hit theaters until December 20, but until then there’s already an abundance of quotes to tide us over. Which is most likely to be the new “Stay classy, San Diego,” “I’m in a glass case of emotion,” “I love lamp?” “I am Ron Burgundy?” We parsed the two trailers for this ranking of the most likely contenders.
1. “Well, you know the old expression: ‘Nope.’”-Brian Fantana’s (Rudd) response to the question: “Isn’t that the point?”
2. “It’s just refreshing.”-Ron Burgundy (Ferrell) after smoking crack on air in order to explain viewers what it feels like.
3. “Bring on the fun bags.”-Brian reporting a story about the dangers of silicone breast implants (as a close up of a woman’s chest bouncing plays behind him).
4. “Pull yourself together, man. You sound like a balloon.”-Brian to Ron, who is squealing after being punched in the crotch.
5. “See any you like? The Responsible Pirate? Sleeve it to Beaver?”-Brian showcasing his cupboard filled with different brands of condoms.
6. “Oh. Black. Black. Blaaaack.”-Ron after meeting the Linda Johnson, the (black) network head of GNN and being thrown off by her race.
7. Brian: “I’ve fathered four of my seven illegitimate children wearing this condom.”Ron: “But Brian, isn’t that the whole point of wearing a condom? To not impregnate the woman?”-The Channel 4 News team discussing different condom brands.
8. “Where’s my legs?”-Brick Tamland (Carell) after wearing green pants in front of the weather report green.
9. “We just done went and brought it, and you can’t handle it, little mama.”-Ron telling off Linda Johnson.
10. Ron: “You’re not black or Asian?”New hire: “I’m gay.”Champ: “Do you sleep in a coffin?”New hire: “No that’s vampires.”Brian: “Are you allowed to be out in the sun?”New hire: “Those are also vampires.”Brick: “Are you a vampire?”New hire: “No, I’m gay.”-The Channel 4 News team attempting to size up a new diversity hire.