Cressida and Harry appear together at an official event for the first time and allow themselves to be photographed. Does this mean engagement is forthcoming?Doug Peters/EMPICS Entertainment, via Press Association
Shock greets William and Kate's decision to jet off on long-haul holiday without their babySplash News / Newscom
Proving definitively once and for all that reports of her grumpiness are much overstated, the Queen is reported to have launched into song while chatting to a young singer, trilling out a few bars by British popster Gary Barlow.
Laura Wright, 23, who will perform 'God Save the Queen' at Twickenham this weekend told the Daily Mail: “When I was talking to her, she sang a little bit of a track from Gary’s Sing EP..It sounded like she had a lovely voice. I did offer her some singing lessons, but I think she might be quite busy...She said Gary Barlow had told her that anyone can sing; it’s just a matter of learning, which I totally agree with.”
Barlow was chosen to compose the Queen’s official Diamond Jubilee single, Sing, with Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Before there was Prince Harry, there was Prince Andrew.
And the elder royal playboy of his generation has clearly lost none of his pulling power as his new squeeze is none other than George Clooney's ex, the Croatian model Monika Jakisic.
The new couple are said to have celebrated Andrew's birthday together at Cecconi's restaurant just off Savile Row in London.
A witness told UsMagazine.com: “They sat next to each other at an intimate table by the front of the restaurant and were cuddling up to each other. Andrew was making Monika laugh and kissing her hand.”
The eyewitness added during the dinner “Monika gave him a birthday card and the server brought out a white birthday cake for dessert.”
Days later they were spotted at The Arts Club in Mayfair.
Prince Harry making most of his redeployment to London
Prince Harry and his girlfriend Cressida Bonas were pictured together in public last night for just the second time as they went to dinner at The Ivy restaurant in London with Sam Branson, Richard's son, who is married to Cressida's sister Isabella.
The elite youngsters were photographed walking into the exclusive London eatery yesterday evening.
Harry kept a few paces ahead of Cressida to try and prevent a picture of them together surfacing, but photographers managed to get the moth in the same frame.
Harry was casually dressed, wearing a pair of dark blue jeans with a navy fleece, a white polo top and a black cap (the Ivy has no dress code) and Cressida wore a simple black dress.
Maori king, King Tuheitia, declines to meet William in New Zealand
When it comes to a quiet chat between a serving king and a future king, ninety minutes just isn't long enough to impart the secrets of how to rule.
That, at least, seems to be the position of New Zealand’s Maori king, King Tuheitia, who has rejected a meeting with Prince William when the young British royal visits New Zealand next month.
Prime minister John Key said King Tuheitia had turned down a visit from Prince William because the 90-minute time slot offered was too short, according to a report in The Guardian today.
On Tuesday, King Tuheitia’s office issued a statement confirming the royals would not meet, despite Prince William and his wife visiting the Waikato.
“The king was never asked anything. He was simply told,” the statement said.
The government’s delegation of the organisation of such an important visit to “faceless bureaucrats” was attacked as a grave error of judgment, repeating history that had seen the king’s position continually diminished and undermined.
A personal letter explaining the king’s reason for declining the visit had been couriered to the royal couple several weeks ago, the statement said.
The statement said 60 to 90 minutes was not considered long enough to look after the royal couple and the Maori leaders who would gather to pay them homage.
“The king wanted to give his best to this couple to reflect their status. He was being prevented from doing that.”
Desmond Tutu quielty attacks British and American hostility to Mandela
Prince Harry this morning attended a memorial for Nelson Mandela in London.
Harry, representing the Queen, joined senior politicians including David Cameron at the service in Westminster Abbey celebrating the life and work of Nelson Mandela, who died on December 5 aged 95.
The service heard South African singing and drumming and an address to the congregation by Kgalema Motlanthe, South African deputy president, and Peter Hain MP, the veteran anti-apartheid campaigner.
In an address to the congregation, Desmond Tutu, the former Archbishop of Cape Town thanked "splendid" and "amazing" anti-apartheid campaigners for their efforts in changing the "moral climate" over apartheid.
The royals have hired a new nanny for Prince George
Slipped into yesterday's announcement of the three-week mega-tour of Australia and New Zealand to be undertaken by the young royal family next month and over Easter was confirmation of a rumor that has been doing the rounds for some time now—that Kate has hired a nanny for George.
The identity of the nanny has still not been discovered, although she is believed to be English, in her twenties and already well-established with the family at Kensington Palace. We're on it.
Will and Kate's secretary Miguel Head slipped the news out when discussing the size of the royal party travelling to Australia, saying, "The party is similar in size to recent overseas visits undertaken by Their Royal Highnesses. It consists of me and the Duchess's Private Secretary, Rebecca Deacon, three press officers, a Tour Secretary, a Personal Assistant, a Hairdresser and an Orderly to help manage the logistics. Sir David Manning will also accompany Their Royal Highnesses throughout. A new addition to the party is, of course, Prince George’s nanny."
Sources have told the Royalist that William and Kate are believed to be 'gearing up' for a second child and the hiring of a nanny may be part of that plan.
Palace confirm that Prince George will make public appearance on New Zealand tour, assuring worldwide coverage
There had been some debate among news organizations whether they would go to the expense and trouble of sending full crews to cover the forthcoming tour of William and Kate to Australia and New Zealand.
But now that Kensington Palace has announced that Prince George will take part in his debut public engagement when he accompanies the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to a nursery in New Zealand, a scramble for media places and plane tickets is underway.
The decision, announced yesterday afternoon, that George will make his first public appearance in Australia will ensure massive media attention on Will and Kate's trip down under, and may go some way to explaining why the baby has been kept so totally under wraps so far.
He has only been photographed three times by press photographers - once at his Christening and once at the hospital, and he was also photographed from a distance by a paparazzi when Kate changed planes in the Carribbean en route to Mustique.
Duchess to support anti-FGM campaign
Camilla has given her backing to efforts to stamp out female genital mutilation (FGM), according to a leading campaigner.
Anti-FGM charity founder Nimco Ali told the Daily Telegraph that Camilla gave the "royal seal of approval" during a reception for the Southbank Centre's Women of the World (WOW) festival, which starts on March 5.
The co-founder of the charity Daughters of Eve, created in 2010, said: "Camilla said she thinks the campaign is terrific and she heard about the stuff we're doing. She said she was impressed with the work and wanted more information about the campaign.
"I want to build the momentum. We're starting a conversation and we're breaking the cycle. My ultimate aim is that by the time my niece is eight - she's three now - there won't be a risk of FGM. I want to break that cycle and for her to say later: 'You had to actually do that [fight against FGM]?' She's the first person not to be cut in the family."
Kate may chop her hair in advance of Australia visit next month.
Meanwhile, back to the serious news - and is it really true that Kate Middleton is going to cut her hair?
That certainly is the rumor doing the rounds this week, with speculation that Kate may give her locks a dramatic chops before heading off on tour to Australia next month.
While most expect her to plump for a shorter, shoulder-length style, she is also being urged by some to adopt a more radical bob to avoid endless fussing with her hair when the weatehr is anything less than still.
Kate's hair has been somewhat schizophrenic of late. First of all there was the strange incident in November when - after a couple of months locked away with her new baby - Kate appeared on a public engagement in London with grey roots, and earlier this month on a visit to a school her hair, which now comes halfway down her chest, was whipped around in the wind.
Diana found to have Irish ancestry - so will William, Kate and baby George now visit the Emerald Isle?
County Cork is known in Ireland as the rebel county, so it is perhaps appropriate that a graveyard restoration project in Cork has uncovered the ancient burial tomb of a direct ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales.
An unmarked mausoleum in East Cork was found to contain the remains of Princess Diana’s maternal great-great-grandfather, Baron Edmond Roche.
During the restoration process, volunteers discovered plaques documenting a list of the dead contained within the mausoleum.
Previously, an old folks tale had linked the tomb to the Roche family, of nearby Trabolgan, but there was no concrete proof whom the tomb might contain.
The discovery was made by volunteers, Eddie Tucker, Jimmy O’Leary and Michael Kenefick, who found the tombstone plaques buried under the roots of a tree growing out of the mausoleum.
“The volunteers found the plaques by accident while they were cleaning around the mausoleum and the tree,” heritage worker Grace Fox told the Irish Examiner.
Lord Fermoy had married Elizabeth Caroline Boothbym and their grandson Edmund Roche, the 4th Baron Fermoy, was the maternal grandfather of Diana, Princess of Wales.
“This is why it’s so important for local people to be involved in the restoration projects, because they know the local legends, they know what information to follow up,” Ms Fox said.
Letter to George III from his father revealed
Avoid war; don't trust flatterers, courtiers and ministers; and most importantly 'retrieve the glory of the Throne'.
That's just some of the advice given by Frederick, Prince of Wales to his son, the future George III in a previously unseen letter of 1749, which will be shown at a new exhibition entitled The First Georgians to be held at the Queen's Gallery in London.
The letter, drawn to our attention by our friends at Wistorical, contains more sound advice for young heirs,
"If you can be without war, let not your ambition draw you into it… Flatterers, Courtiers or Ministers, are easy to be got, but a true Friend is difficult to be found... Let your steadiness retrieve the glory of the throne."
Written 'out of love' and sent with 'the tenderest paternal affection', it urges the future monarch to behave as 'an Englishman born and bred'.
The author was the eldest son of George II, Frederick, who was first in line to the throne, but pre-deceased his father so never took the crown.
In the letter, Frederick credits his grandfather, George I, for his ideas, rather than his father. The roots of his antipathy towards his parents can be traced back to the time when, at just seven years of age, he was left behind in Hanover. Separated from Frederick for 13 years, George II clearly favoured his second son, William, Duke of Cumberland.
Once in London, Frederick presented himself as a fashionable man about town, entertaining freely and informally.
Frederick's mother, Queen Caroline, despised her son's relaxed manner: ‘Popularity always makes me sick’, she is reported to have said, ‘but Fretz’s popularity makes me vomit'.
Sources say Kate and William are thinking seriously about a new baby
Is Kate getting back into baby mode?
The Royalist has been told that friends of the young royals believe she may be 'gearing up' to get pregnant again.
And it also appears Kate has finally cracked on the issue of childcare, with a report from Daily Mail columnist Sebastian Shakespeare today saying that William and Kate are now hunting for a new full-time nanny.
The move comes despite Kate's previous insistence to friends that she would like to avoid having full-time help with Prince George. It could be that with thoughts of a second child looming larger, Kate is simply bowing to the inevitable sooner rather than later.
Prince Harry’s girlfriend is the opposite of Kate Middleton in every way. Tom Sykes examines the evidence: a pair of Doc Martens, some dungarees, and that infamous scrunchie.