1. CLAP BACK

Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer Clap Back at Trump: ‘He Threw a Temper Tantrum’

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) responded to Donald Trump’s Rose Garden press conference on Wednesday, saying the president had a “temper tantrum” during their reportedly 20-minute infrastructure meeting. “To watch what happened in the White House would make your jaw drop,” Schumer told reporters minutes after Trump’s meltdown. “We went to the White House to talk to President Trump about infrastructure, but he threw a temper tantrum and walked out of the meeting.”

Trump’s speech bashing Democrats and the Mueller probe came after his closed-door infrastructure meeting with Democratic leaders. Schumer also called out Trump’s claim that he won’t work with Democrats until the investigations against him are stopped. “Hello, there were investigations going on three weeks ago when we met. And he still met with us. But now that he was forced to say how he would actually pay for [infrastructure], he had to run away,” he said. “It’s clear this was not a spontaneous move on the president’s part. It was planned,” Schumer added.

2. SHOTS FIRED

Nancy Pelosi: We Believe Trump ‘Is Engaged in a Cover-Up’

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that House Democrats believe President Trump is involved in a cover-up. “We do believe that it’s important to follow the facts. We believe that no one is above the law, including the president of the United States,” Pelosi told reporters. “And we believe the president of the United States is engaged in a cover-up.” The announcement came after House Democrats held a closed-door meeting to discuss possible impeachment proceedings against the president. Pelosi has previously expressed misgivings about impeaching the president, while other Democrats have said it is the appropriate course of action, as the Trump administration has repeatedly disobeyed congressional probes.

3. Ice & Fire

Save 27% Right Now on the Dyson Smart Purifier That Includes a Built-In Heater and Fan

Get The Beast in your Inbox
Our newsletters are delivered twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Daily Digest
The best stories from our journalists
Cheat Sheet
Everything you need to know today, from a variety of sources

By Subscribing I have read and agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

4. HELP US

Send The Daily Beast a Tip

The Daily Beast is dedicated to independent journalism, pursued without fear or favor. But to do it right, we need your help. We need your tips. We need documents that you may come across. That’s why The Daily Beast has made it easier than ever for you to send sensitive information and documents to our journalists. Learn more here about how to contact us via email, snail mail, Signal, and SecureDrop.

5. IN REAL TROUBLE

Chef Mario Batali Facing Criminal Charges in Alleged 2017 Boston Assault

Celebrity chef Mario Batali is facing criminal charges in Boston for allegedly kissing and groping a woman against her will in a restaurant in 2017, The Boston Globe reports. The 58-year-old, who was previously accused of sexual harassment and assault in New York, was charged with “indecent assault and battery” and is scheduled to be arraigned on Friday morning, according to the report. A woman reportedly claimed the chef put his arm around her and grabbed her chest while she was trying to take a selfie with him in March 2017. She then alleged Batali started kissing her, touching her groin without consent, and asking her if she wanted to go to his hotel room while “pulling on her face.” The criminal complaint alleged Batali was drunk during the incident, based on his “smell” and his eyes being half-closed. The woman's lawyer declined to comment to the newspaper, while Batali's lawyer denied the accusations. “The charges, brought by the same individual without any new basis, are without merit,” attorney Anthony Fuller said. “He intends to fight the allegations vigorously and we expect the outcome to fully vindicate Mr. Batali.” If convicted, he could face 2.5 years in jail and would have to register as a sex offender.

6. AWFUL

Sixth Migrant Child, an El Salvadoran Girl, Died in U.S. Custody in September

A 10-year-old girl from El Salvador died in U.S. custody in September, marking the sixth migrant child to die after being apprehended in the past eight months. Department of Health and Human Services spokesman Mark Weber told CBS the girl had a “history of congenital heart defects” and entered Office of Refugee Resettlement care in March 2018 in a “medically fragile” state. “Following a surgical procedure, complications left the child in a comatose state. She was transported to a nursing facility in Phoenix, Arizona, for palliative care in May after release from a San Antonio hospital,” Weber said. The child was then transferred to an Omaha, Nebraska, nursing facility to be closer to family, and then a children’s hospital where she died “due to fever and respiratory distress.” The ORR did not release additional details about the child. Her death was reportedly the first death of a child in migrant custody since 2010, according to ORR and Department of Homeland Security officials. The news comes after a Guatemalan teenager died in Customs and Border Protection custody earlier this week after being diagnosed with “influenza A.”

7. WHOA

Four More Women Accuse Tony Robbins of Sexual Misconduct

Four more women have accused self-help guru Tony Robbins of sexual misconduct. Kimberly Stokes, Robbins’ live-in assistant in the late ’80s, told BuzzFeed News that Robbins once walked into her bathroom while she was showering and “dropped” his towel, exposing himself. Sophiah Koikas and Mary Lantz both described instances in which Robbins allegedly touched them inappropriately in the early ’90s—with Koikas claiming the guru grabbed her left breast and placed her hand against his penis during a “multiweek seminar in Hawaii.” Koikas also said one of the guru’s male associates told her Robbins thought she was “cute” and asked if she would like to “know him and meet him[.]” Koikas said she declined. Lantz told the website Robbins said she was “driving [him] crazy” and touched the side of her breast during a Cleveland seminar.

The fourth woman, Lucie Galvez, told the website that she interviewed to be Robbins’ personal assistant in the early 2000s and said the questions he asked her were “sexually inappropriate” and “almost predatory.” Galvez recalled Robbins asking her how she felt about “nudity,” claiming that he and his partner might be “in the nude” at his home while sleeping, showering, or getting massages. Galvez said she was offered the job, but she turned it down due to the uncomfortable interview. In a statement, Robbins said he “absolutely” denied each of the allegations.

8. PAPER TRAIL

Wells Fargo, TD Bank Hand Over Documents to Congress in Trump Probe: NBC

Wells Fargo and TD Bank have reportedly complied with the House Financial Services Committee's subpoenas to hand over documents related to Trump Organization dealings, sources told NBC News. Wells Fargo reportedly gave the committee a “few thousand documents” while TD Bank gave just a “handful.” The committee, led by Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA), is looking into whether the Trump Organization had any dealings with Russia or other foreign entities, and has subpoenaed Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Royal Bank of Canada and Toronto-Dominion Bank and JP Morgan Chase as part of its probe. The Royal Bank of Canada is reportedly in the process of complying with the subpoena, while the other banks missed the committee's May 6 deadline. TD Bank and Wells Fargo declined to comment to NBC.

9. NICE TRY

Judge Refuses to Block House Subpoenas for Trump Bank Records

A federal judge has ruled against President Trump’s effort to block congressional subpoenas demanding his financial records from two banks. The ruling means Deutsche Bank and Capital One may now release the president’s financial records to House Democrats. Deutsche Bank has disputed a report published Sunday by The New York Times that alleges the bank turned a blind eye to potentially illicit activity from accounts tied to Donald Trump and his son-in-law Jared Kushner.

Attorneys for the congressional committees have argued that the subpoenas do not only target the president and his family, but are instead a part of a complex investigation of an entire industry. The attorney also argued that looking into Trump’s family is not an overreach because people often use family members to hide assets.

10. DRINKING CLUB?

Proud Boys Members Plotted Ways to Injure Protesters at April Rally: Report

Private chats between about 30 Proud Boys members and allies show that they discussed using physical violence against “antifa” at an April rally, HuffPost reports. The website reports members talked about their April “Resist Marxism” rally in Providence, Rhode Island, as being a sort of comeback after 10 members were arrested at a New York City GOP event. “We just need to go there and we’ll beat them. We’ll have enough to crush them at some point,” Proud Boys event organizer Alan Swinney wrote in one message. Member Anthony Mastrostefano wrote that he was looking forward to “smash[ing] commies” at the rally. “Actually I’m lying, I’m way past just hitting them,” he said. “When the time comes I will stop at nothing to fully eradicate them all! Another Proud Boys member, Shaun Hufton, made a direct threat to an anti-fascist Twitter activist, calling the activist a “mother f--ker” that needed to “meet a 7mm [Magnum rifle] from about 500 yards.” Member Peter Scott told Hufton not to send any threats or the “feds will use it against [them] in court.” The April rally was ultimately canceled.

This comes after members announced Monday that they would be suing the Southern Poverty Law Center for labeling the Proud Boys as a hate group. “We’re a drinking club that stands behind Donald Trump,” Proud Boys chairman Enrique Tarrio said. “That’s enough to earn hate of the left.”